Extra Extra Extra!!!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Toy Review: S.I.C. Alternative Zero and Kamen Rider Ryuga

My affirmation that I am also going on the S.I.C. way. This is my review of the S.I.C. Alternative Zero and Kamen Rider Ryuga. I've mentioned this a couple of times, it is one of my regrets in overlooking how great SICs are - aesthetically. Getting this two-pack is what I call an accidental surprise. It caught my eye over eBay which was selling at 25 dollars. Looking for something cheap but great to splurge on, there were no hesitations in getting myself this set.

I'm not sure if there are any other Alternative Zero figures around but so far this one takes the cake out of the Ryuki fanatic. I've watched the series and I realize there are details here that are not visibly obvious on the show. For example is the 00 mark at the back of the collar and other bits that makes the figure look mechanical. Just like my Revoltech Iron Man War Machine.

The mold on Alternative Zero is just phenomenal. Its grey parts have this illusion that the plastic has been laminated on top to give that glossy and glittery effect on it. It is subtle but somehow works on the figure.

I couldn't give the same awe on the articulation points. Zero's knees are not on a separate hinge therefore when these bend, these allow a noticeable gap between the legs. Another problem I faced are the shoulders, these are really hindered because of hard mold on top that scratches the surfaces. I might have pulled some dynamic poses but there are not as fantastic as SH Figuarts. Last is the waist joint. I have been told that one of the stigmas that the old SICs had were the delicate joints. One false move and you'll have two pieces of Zero on your hands.

Accessories include two pairs of hands, holding and open. There is also a Slash Visor that slides for a more realistic feel. A sword is also part of the entourage. The sword and the Slash visor have a mixture of both hard plastic and die-cast metal hence it is called Chogokin. Because of the weight of the metal, both accessories take a toll on the arm joints and raises concerns on holding these.

Ryuga is equally handsome but don't get your hopes up for a complete Dragredder. The joints on the shoulders and the legs also suffer the same fate as Zero. However, the ports have more obvious die-cast parts that makes him a standout in its unique way. You can also raise Ryuga's visor, but I don't understand its purpose.

What's included on Ryuga are the Dragredder head, Dragvisor, his henshin card, 5 hands one of which is to hold the card and a Sword Vent. The Dragredder is somewhat the same as its SHF counterpart (well SIC came out first) that has a moveable mouthpiece. The Dragvisor functions the same as the Slash Visor which has a sliding action. The sword is also heavy because of the 90% metallic plate molded into this.

SICs are one of the most difficult figures to play with because of the tons of accessories, but with this they are enough to soothe your rider appetite. Downside would be the articulation points on the shoulder which are limited, falling crotch plate - yes for both, and not enough ab crunch. The rest is great. More of this review from my video clip below. Enjoy.

 
 

 












 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...